Tuesday, August 4, 2015

I don't think you could find a recipe more Southern than Okra Spoon Patties from 1955.

 
Okra Spoon Patties
(Mrs. N.R. Shockley, Pell City, Al)
 
Many years ago, back in the deep South, my uncle was the editor of a newspaper. He would send cooking supplements home to my grandmother, who lived in the country, and she would use those recipes in place of a cookbook. After she died, I found the supplements in a drawer in the dining room sideboard. I took them out, put them in a grocery bag and brought them home to South Carolina. The supplements are crumbling and falling apart now, so I am photographing the recipes and trying to cook a few of them along the way. The one above is a true treasure.
 
The recipe for the okra patties is a bit unconventional because most of the time we see that recipes for okra patties call for cornmeal and maybe a little flour. This recipe uses cracker crumbs. After looking at the recipe, I thought uh-oh, but believe me when I tell you that I can't wait to eat these again. This would be the perfect appetizer or side dish for company who is trying Southern food for the first time. Oh, what a delicious introduction that would be.
 
Okay, I'll be quiet because I know you want to eat. So here is the newspaper clipping photo from the Birmingham News, 1955. And, below that are the details of my experience making the okra patties. Enjoy.
 
 
You can see the recipe above, but I made changes to suit my cooking style today. The full NEW recipe is below.
 
I cooked enough (I used sliced okra) okra in boiling salted water to make one cup when mashed. After the okra cooked until tender, I put it in a strainer and strained the liquid out, and placed the okra in a bowl and mashed. Now, measure out one cup of okra and set aside.
 
In another bowl, beat a large egg until well mixed. I added 4 Club crackers (crushed) and it was pretty loose. I remembered that crackers came in sheets back then, so I added 4 more Club crackers (use 8 Club crackers, crushed, total). Perfect. Now, add the mashed okra, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, to the egg, cracker mixture.
 
Place about a 1/4 inch oil in a black cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Drop one tablespoon of the mixture at a time into the hot oil. When the patties have browned on one side, turn. When brown on both sides, remove to paper towels to drain. Serve with Mayonnaise-Dijon Mustard Sauce.
 
Mayonnaise-Dijon Sauce
 
2 tablespoons Duke's
1 teaspoon Country Dijon mustard
 
Mix well, serve with okra patties.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment