Monday, March 13, 2017

MOTHER'S FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES, SUNDAY NIGHT SUPPER

 
I realize this photo might not be the prettiest French Dip sandwich, but it might be one of the best you will taste. 
 

 
This is made from a recipe that my cousin Sandra sent from mother's recipe file. I didn't have this one, and boy have I missed out. But, not anymore. I have it now and I'll make it again and again.
 
I served this with coleslaw and horseradish on the side. And, of course, a bowl of au jus.My mother recommended serving it with roasted potatoes and salad.
 
 
French Dip Sandwich 
4 pound rump roast
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
1 (12 ounce) can or bottle of beer (optional-I do not use the beer, but you can if you like)
1 large onion cut into thick slices
6 French rolls
2 tablespoons butter 
Trim excess fat from the roast, and place in a slow cooker*. Add the beef broth, onion soup, onions and beer. Cook on low setting for 7 hours. Preheat the oven to 350°. Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake for 10 minutes, or until heated through. Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Strain the dipping sauce, and serve. Excellent with  salad and oven roasted potatoes.
*If you want to serve it sooner than later, just pre-heat the oven to 350. Add the roast to a large Dutch oven, add beef broth, onion soup and onions, and cook for about 21/2 hours, turning often, until the meat is tender.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment